Sigma Tau Delta held its October meeting (pictured above)
Sigma Tau Delta is an international collegiate honor society for students of English at four-year colleges and universities who are within the top 30% of their class and have a 3.5 GPA. It presently has over 850 chapters in the United States and abroad. English Majors and interested students are welcome! The next meeting will be November 3rd, 11 AM in Lindquist 500.
- Submissions are now open for the Sigma Tau Delta International Conference. The final date to submit is October 30th. Submission requirements and information can be found at http://www.englishconvention.org/2018/submissions-overview/
- Do you have research that is relevant to the state of Kansas? If so, the Graduate School wants you to present at their annual Capitol Graduate Research Summit next year – February 20th, 2018. Abstracts, 250 word limit, are due Friday, November 10th. Please speak with your research or faculty adviser about preparing your abstract– it should include how your research is relevanct to the state of Kansas. Want to know more about CGRS? Check out the website: www.wichita.edu/cgrs. There’s also a section called “WSU Students Only” where you will find more information, including how to submit your abstract.
Open call for submissions
Wichita State’s literary journal, Mikrokosmos, is currently accepting submissions of fiction, poetry, and non-fiction. Submissions can be entered until November 30, 2017.
Submission information: https://mikrokosmosjournal.submittable.com/submit
Events this Week
- Dr. Francis Connor will be presenting as part of the October 13 Wichita Art Chatter at the Wichita Art Museum. Part open-mic, part thought cocktail, part happy hour on a Friday night, several local creative types are asked to give their thoughts on different topics.
- Student Activities Council is hosting Geek Week October 9th-12th:
- Power Up! Wednesday, October 11th, 12 PM- 3 PM, Shocker Sports Grill & Lanes
- Anime- Is It a Cartoon? Thursday, October 12th, 11 AM- 1 PM, 1st floor RSC
- Anime Movie: The Wind Rises, 7 PM & 9:30 PM, Hubbard Hall 208
Open Mic Night: Poetry, Vocals, and Storytelling, Thursday, October 19th at 7 PM in Hubbard 231. Everyone is welcome!
Richard Davies has an upcoming Final Friday art exhibition at Reuben Sanders on October 27. Final Friday is a free local art crawl which spans the downtown area.
Halloween Comicfest is Saturday, October 28th, 1-4 PM in Ablah Library’s 1st floor C-Space. There will be a costume contest, roundtable discussions on various fandom topics, a greenscreen photo booth, film screening of Nosferatu at 2:00 PM, kids craft table, and free comic books! For more information on events and the schedule, go to : http://libresources.wichita.edu/comicfest
The Graduate School is hosting two upcoming professional development events:
- Mastering Literature Reviews, October 26th, 5-6:30 PM
- Job Search Skills, November 15th, 12-1:30 PM
RSVP before November 8th at wichita.edu/JSS. To see all Fall 2017 events, go to www.wichita.edu/pds.
Thursday, Nov. 9th at 5:30 pm at the Ulrich Museum of Art. Murphy is the visiting distinguished writer this semester and will be teaching the writers tutorial to advanced undergraduate fiction writers and MFA students. The reading is free and open to the public. Her books will be for sale after the reading and she will be available for signing copies.
The Weekly Digest will be taking a short hiatus due to Fall Break. Our weekly posts will return Wednesday, October 25th.
The weekly digest is published online on the blog every Wednesday. We’d love to hear from you! If you have any news at all to share, please send it to email@example.com or use the “Submit Blog News” form located on the rightmost corner on the blog.